Steps to Adjust a Stiff Handlebar for FavoriteBikes:
Inspect the Seal Wiper and Clearance:
- Check the space between the seal wiper and the head tube. A tight clearance can lead to stiffness in the handlebar.
here's a step-by-step guide to help you remove the display and the stem from your bike:
Removing the Display: Start by locating the connector cables attached to the display unit on the stem of your bike. Carefully unplug the connector to disconnect it. You'll find a screw underneath the stem—this is what secures your display in place. Using an 2mm Allen key, remove this screw. After the screw is out, gently push the display upwards from the bottom to slide it out of the stem. Make sure to do this gently to avoid damaging any of the components.
Removing the Stem: With the display removed, you'll now have access to the main screw that holds the stem to your bike's front fork. Locate the screw, which should be visible at the top of the stem once the display is removed. Using a 4mm Allen key, turn the screw counterclockwise to loosen and remove it. Once the screw is fully removed, you can then lift the stem assembly away from the bike. As you perform this step, be mindful of any washers or spacers that may be present to ensure they are not lost or damaged, as they will be needed for reassembly.
Adjusting the Washers:
- To adjust the clearance as needed, you can add additional washers. Specifically for the Hybrid Pro model, it comes equipped with a pre-installed 2mm washer. Similarly, the Hybrid model is outfitted with a 2mm washer and includes two additional 0.3mm washers. Begin by supplementing with more 0.3mm washers, if necessary. Once you've added the washers, apply downward pressure and rotate the main spacer. This is to check that it rotates smoothly and freely without any hindrance. If you encounter resistance, it may be necessary to adjust the number of washers to achieve the optimal level of clearance.
- Hybrid Model: Comes with one 2mm washer and two 0.3mm washers.
- Hybrid Pro: Equipped with one 2mm washer.
Contacting Customer Service:
- For additional washers, reach out to FavoriteBikes customer service to receive the suitable 0.3 mm washers for this adjustment.
- Place the necessary washers under the main spacer to lift the stem and increase the clearance, which should help in reducing the stiffness.
Aligning the Fork Steering Tube:
- After installing the washers, ensure that the fork steering tube is properly aligned with the bearing. The insert between the steering tube and bearing should be fully inserted into the gap to ensure proper function and to prevent any movement that could lead to handlebar stiffness.
- Continue with regular maintenance on the headset. This includes checking the tightness of bolts, ensuring proper alignment, lubricating necessary parts, and adjusting the tension in the headset to ensure everything is set correctly.
- After making these adjustments, take your bike for a test ride to confirm that the handlebar moves smoothly and that the overall ride feels comfortable. Adjust further if necessary.
It's essential to follow these steps carefully to ensure your handlebar operates smoothly and safely. Should you encounter any issues or require assistance, do not hesitate to contact FavoriteBikes customer service for support.